Monday, September 19, 2011

A weekend that felt like fall.

Honestly, how is it already noon? I just finished my espresso.

This weekend was so lovely. My boyfriend and I spent the entire weekend with my family in my cozy hometown and I still have that sleepy-happy grin going on. You know the one.

Saturday morning we drove to a secret apple orchard to pick apples so we could make cinnamon-apple bundt cake. It was a dark and gloomy morning, but the rain had let up, so we figured we could squeeze in a couple bushels before it started storming again. Unfortunately, when we got to the farm, we were informed that it was no longer a pick-your-own orchard. Hmph. Still, we wandered around the shop and smelled the jarred honey and pet the orchard dog and left with one crate of very red apples.

We spent Saturday evening watching football and lounging in our pajamas.

Sunday morning we went out for brunch: mochas, morning glory muffins, and omelettes. After coming out of mini-comas, we played trivia games and baked. It stormed all afternoon and I absolutely loved being cooped up inside. The sound of football on the TV humming in the background, the smell of cinnamon and brown sugar wafting through the open kitchen - an idyllic fall afternoon for my family.

After mom's delicious potato soup and slices of the apple cake I baked, I had to get back to school knowing there were piles of homework and job applications waiting on my desk.

It's funny. When I was a freshmen, I couldn't think of a worse way to spend a weekend - just sitting at home. Four years later, I crave weekends at home.

I've got to hop on those job applications, friends! I'll post the cake recipe + pictures tomorrow morning. Have a good Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment