Tuesday, September 20, 2011

A recipe that takes the cake.

The apple orchard farm we visited over the weekend was so tranquil and charming. On the slow, foggy drive to the farm we passed rows of apple trees and my anticipation grew. I vaguely remembered going to an apple orchard as a child and coming home with a basket of apples and a goldfish in a jar. I was hoping for the same magic as we pulled into the orchard. (Like I mentioned in yesterday's post, unfortunately we were informed when we arrived that it was no longer a pick-your-own orchard.) I was pretty bummed we couldn't wander the orchard, but I was happy to find an already-picked bushel of gorgeously healthy apples. Here's a little peek into the farm:

1. Beautiful apples piled high. 2. A mangy but lovable orchard-dog. 3. Apple-wood for sale by the bundle.

Sunday afternoon I made cinnamon-apple bundt cake. It was spongy, sweet, and tasted like fall. (The recipe is not mine and I apologize that I can't remember the source. If anyone recognizes this recipe, please let me know and I will give proper credit!) Here is the recipe + pictures:

You will need -
3 cups sugar; 6 eggs; 2 tsp. vanilla; 1/4 tsp. baking soda; 2 sticks of butter; 1 cup sour cream; 3 cups flour; 1/4 tsp. salt; 1/2 cup brown sugar, a ridiculous amount of cinnamon, and 2 apples.

Directions -
Grease and flour bundt pan. Sprinkle brown sugar in bottom of pan. Dice apples and put on top of brown sugar coated pan.

Separate egg whites. Whip egg whites until fluffy; set aside. Cream egg yolks with sugar and butter. Add sour cream and vanilla. Add all dry ingredients. Fold in egg white mixture. Sprinkle (unlimited amounts) of cinnamon all over that bad boy. Bake at 325 for 1 hour.

Enjoy with a cold glass of milk or a piping hot cup of coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment