Wednesday, February 23, 2011

I am (hopelessly) devoted to donuts.

After reading this cute little NYC donut guide this morning - coincidentally and embarrassingly while eating a donut - I decided I should profess my love of donuts to you all. I mean, some genius made a magenta hibiscus donut with hibiscus flowers - this stuff needs to be discussed.

When I was a young girl, my dad would take my sister and I out for donuts every Saturday morning. He would take us to this local, cramped bakery that smelled richly of plain glaze donuts. The shop - called Rick's - offered coffee or milk (white or chocolate, take your pick), and the most eccentric donut they made was a chocolate cake donut with bright colored sprinkles. Now bakeries are making donuts with salted caramel (!!), chipotle, toasted coconut, Nutella, and ginger glaze.

There is a donut shop a mini road trip's distance from where I live, and it offers donuts in flavors like maple bacon, root beer float, peanut butter and marshmallow, s'mores, and peach cobbler. I may or may not be drawing up plans to trick my friends into driving several hours to enjoy these bizarrely flavored puffy donuts. If only we could go to New York for donuts. If only I could move to New York and live within the vicinity of Dough...

All this to say, donuts are gold. And this is one time I might not mind when "these times they are a-changin'" - I'll take my donuts plain glazed or with hibiscus.

Also? I wish I could still eat donuts every Saturday morning without abandon.

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way about muffins, because that was my Sunday treat as a kid! It's funny how simply eating something can transport you back so many years :)

    ReplyDelete