Monday, August 9, 2010

Anxiously awaiting...

Yesterday after a relaxing afternoon at the spa, I lazily curled up in the nook of the couch, flipping through the channels, when I saw that the Hall of Fame game (Dallas Cowboys vs. Cincinnati Bengals) would be playing later in the evening. The Hall of Fame game indicates two things: 1. Football season is almost here, and 2. Time to go shopping for fall clothing.

Let me introduce myself. I adore books, painting, riding my bicycle, Saturday Night Live (mostly the Farley/Sandler era), and baking desserts. However, there are two things I love more than all of those things, and that is football and shopping. (Okay, I love books just as much, but that's another story for another day.)

Sipping cold beers under a tent, watching kids with face-painted cheeks playing horsehoes, chatting excitedly about the game with my best friends between bites of a plump, grilled hot dog. Orange, yellow and red leaves crunch under our feet as my friends and I walk to the stadium. I bury my nose in the cute new scarf I bought and smile. The announcer's booming voice carries through the crisp air that smells like woodchips and cider. We enter the stadium, thousands and thousands of people united in one color. The ball is snapped. For the next few hours, we all roar with pride. And no matter the outcome - as the saying goes - win or lose, we still booze.

I love Saturdays in the fall. I love being a college student and getting the cheapest football tickets. Mostly, I love cheering until my voice is hoarse, hugging and high-fiving fans around me when we score, and getting that lump in my throat when we win, because yes, I am the girl that cries more for the happy things than the sad things.

And now I am coveting the aforementioned scarf (in navy grey) to wear to games this fall.

So of course, after convincing myself not to buy a $54 scarf, I'm going to, because let's face it - the scarf is a total touchdown. (You can puke from the corniness if you'd like to.)

No comments:

Post a Comment