Thursday, December 22, 2011

The punchline.

I love spit-laughs. You know, when you have taken a sip of coffee or wine and someone makes you laugh so you spew it all over the car (I say this from experience; coffee in the car, not wine) or the dinner table. Or your new boyfriend's carpet (and this time it's wine). My favorite laugh, though, is a church laugh. Stifled laughs during prayer; forbidden laughter.

But at my mom's church, we laugh a lot. And it's not stifled or forbidden.

Last Sunday, there was a small ten minute children's sermon before our sermon. A dozen children gathered around an overstuffed chair and their teacher told the parable of the ten virgins.

In the parable, five of the virgins are not prepared with oil for their lamps and five of the virgins are. During the story-telling, one of the children pipes up and asks a question about the virgins. Unable to give a satisfying answer, the teacher jokingly tells him to "Google it."

Once the children's sermon is over and the pastor makes his way to the front of the room, he says, "Yeah, thanks Erin for telling my son to Google 'ten virgins'..."

It feels good to laugh. Especially in church. I am happy my mom has found a church that laughs.

No comments:

Post a Comment