Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Blogging 101.

Hi, everyone! It's early and I haven't had my coffee, but I am ready to get down to business. I have loads of questions for anyone who is reading and I appreciate any conducive feedback. This is a little housekeeping post, if you will. I'm dusting the cobwebs of my little corner of the Internet this morning.

Basically: I want a better blog.

1. How much does it cost to have someone design a personalized blog layout? And where do I find these artistic geniuses?

2. I don't like the name of my blog anymore. I'm a huge mocha (or should I say grande mocha?) fanatic, but mornings make me cringe. I thought it was cute that the name of my blog and my initials are synonymous, except now I'm all: "This blog name is worse than watching paint dry slash it has nothing to do with what I blog about." So question #2 is: How do I change the name and the URL of my blog? (Is that possible?)

3. Would anyone like to see some DIY projects here? (Albeit cheap and small projects because I'm a college student.)

4. Should I start including pictures of myself? This is the one I toy with the most. I think including pictures of myself/friends/family would make the blog more personal, and therefore, better (the main goal). I was looking at a gorgeous and well-written blog the other day when I noticed the blogger never included pictures of herself/himself. And I kept thinking: "What an anonymous weirdo." Then I was like: "Oh, yeah. That's you, too."

5. Is it annoying to say things like "boyfriend M" and "my best friend ADP"? Because if I were y'all, I'd be like: "Um, who?" I think I'll start using first names.

Blogging is one big experiment to me. I'd love to see my blog transform into something worth reading and perhaps worth loving. Please leave feedback in the comments or in my e-mail inbox (cafemochadreams@gmail.com; also cringe-worthy, I know!). Thanks, you guys!

4 comments:

  1. It's so funny that you posted this today- I've been asking myself a lot of the same questions the last couple of days. I found on the Blog Designer Network they have a directory of blog designers.

    http://theblogdesignernetwork.com/blog-designers/

    And I just found Blogging with Amy a few days ago and I didn't leave my computer for probably 3 hours. She has such good tips.

    http://bloggingwithamy.com/

    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much! You've helped me a lot with your comment. Hope to have the transformation complete by the end of the month - keep your eye out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're over thinking it. Blogging is really about you - what you like and what you want to share.

    When it comes down to it design isn't everything (though functionality is always noticed when missing). Look at A Cup Of Jo - her design isn't flash or personalised much and yet she has one of the most popular women's blogs ever. It all comes back to content.

    I'm a designer and have designed blog headers before - sometimes its just a nice header that you need. I've done http://bigbangstudio.blogspot.com/ and http://www.definingduo.com/ among others, including my relaunched blog http://snacked.blogspot.com

    I found on the Blogger Help that if you change the url/name of your blog you will keep all your posts but other people could then use mochamornings. See here
    http://www.google.com/support/blogger/bin/answer.py?answer=41402

    I hope I helped!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, BrigittaR!

    Thank you for your feedback - it's informative and resourceful. You have some great tips! And thanks, also, for linking me directly an answer for question #2. I will use your advice graciously!

    Be looking for the same content, just in a prettier "setting" and perhaps with a different name.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete