Wednesday, September 8, 2010

What matters to me.

Yesterday I was having a crummy day; my car wouldn't start and I was (and am) really missing my boyfriend. And then, when I got to work, my sad mood disappeared.

Melt the butter and marshmallows; stir. Inhale the scent of the gooey goodness. Pour in the rice crisps; stir slowly. Let them cool. Dip in tempered chocolate.

For a couple of hours I was baking in solitude. And I realized, later, when I was dipping strawberries in chocolate and drizzling them in white confection, that my part-time job in a dessert shop is totally therapeutic.

When I got home, a random mix of people were on the patio playing guitars and making pictures out of chalk. It made me happy to sit outside, drink coffee, and get lost in conversation. I finished the evening curled up on my bed in my (favorite) cupcake pajamas sipping mint cocoa and reading Glamour. I went to bed happy.

That's why I don't believe in "bad days". Sure, there are circumstances where it's okay to have a bad day; but for the most part, even if you have a crappy day, there is always something to be grateful for, to be happy about. There will be a silver lining to this lousy day - it's not all bad - breathe.

And what will almost always cheer me up are the little things, like romantic letters from the 1940's, breakfast for dinner, and surprise packages in the mail. Things like evenings with friends on the patio and curling up in my favorite pajamas are more little things I adore. There is a blog I read (and adore!) called a diary of little things and curiosities, and the author of the blog is a quirky, sunshine-y girl that does fun things like give readers/followers an opportunity to win her giveaway by answering the question: what are you favorite little things in life? (There are other ways to enter, too!) I left a list of little things that I love in her comments section, but more little things I love are:

Hearing an old song, whimsical prints on umbrellas, window nooks, making my throat burn and eyes water from eating really spicy food, kind smiles from strangers, wrinkly puppies, the word 'bizarre', and the feeling I get after a good run.

Cheers to a rainy morning with a spiced chai + friends. Happy Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment