Thursday, February 23, 2012

Next time I will win.

I have spent the past few weeks interviewing with a stellar non-profit that provides funding for animal conservation. My first interview was fantastic; the conversation flowed and there was a genuine connection between the two interviewers and myself. Honestly, I was not surprised when I was called back for a second interview. The second interview consisted of presenting a case to a panel of four women, which I thought would be intimidating. Instead, the second interview was energetic and full of promise - as smooth as velvet. Shortly after the second interview, I was contacted and told that the decision was tied between me and one other candidate. My friends and family congratulated me on being a "finalist", and I celebrated with a berry cocktail.

But Tuesday, I was informed the other candidate had been selected. I was crushed. I tried not to cry and failed. So close, but so far away.

Then, yesterday, I woke up with a sense of peace and I didn't know what to do with it. I went to the gym and worked out for a long time. I took a cold shower and bought a wooden chair for $7 that I can paint any way I want. I took a drive along a windy road with the windows down and the music loud. And I thought, "You can do this. You got very close this time, and next time - you will win."

6 comments:

  1. I'm sorry it didn't work out this time hon. There are such great, wonderful things waiting out there for you though- and when you find them, you won't feel so bad about the wait. You WILL win next time, and I can't wait to hear all about the adventures when they come (and I secretly hope their close to me, because I miss seeing your lovely face all the time).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mhhm. Did I mean they're but can't grammar check before I press 'publish'? I did! I did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been EXACTLY there. You weren't supposed to get that job. Trust me entirely...keep the faith always...

    ReplyDelete
  4. aw...i'm sorry. next time you WILL win. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very similar thing happened to a close friend a few months back. I was so pumped for her and then so disappointed. If it makes you feel better--she just found got offered a job in a much better locale so there is hope!

    I know it's cheesy and cliche to say that everything happens for a reason, but at least for me, I find that sentiment comforting. Something better will come along!

    Jessica
    thislittleinfinity.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, everyone! I totally agree with all of your sweet thoughts. Thanks for the encouragement + shared stories.

    I now believe I was not meant to work for this particular organization, but I am remaining confident that another fantastic opportunity will arise soon. No hard feelings toward this organization at all; in fact, I will support them every chance I get!

    Hope you all have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete