Sunday, January 30, 2011

Girl Power.

A couple of weeks ago, this video was shown in one of my classes. According to the Girl Effect website, Girl Effect is "the unique potential of 600 million adolescent girls to end poverty for themselves and the world." If you have some spare time this weekend, I ask you ladies - and men! - to:

1. Learn. (And check the facts!)
2. Spread the word.
3. And if you can, give.

When I was a young girl, I set up lemonade stands with neighborhood friends. My sister and I let our imaginations run wild in my backyard. Everyone in my neighborhood went to school; in the summer, we'd take art lessons or piano lessons during the day and help around the house at night. It was an ordinary childhood with an extraordinary family. But for some girls, when they hit adolescence, their world is shattered: the girls become "illiterate, married off, isolated, pregnant, vulnerable to HIV." This makes me cringe. And cry.

We were all girls once, made of sugar and spice and everything nice. Life was simple, blissful.

Won't you help a girl who dreams of lemonade stands and art lessons? Of a future filled with health and education?

As the website says: change starts with you; so get going.

No comments:

Post a Comment